Home Decor Ideas
Building a home may be the most important and valuable investment that you make in your lifetime. Although you may delegate a number of services to your contractor or engineer, it is still important for you to have the best possible knowledge about the various aspects of the construction process.
If economy is your concern, you can follow these tips to help you save construction costs:
- Avoid complicated forms of shapes.
- Avoid complex system of level.
- Insist on economic structural design.
- Provide maximum possible provision for natural light and ventilation.
- Ensure efficient placement of utilities like water-supply pipes, power cables etc.
- Use fresh, sound and durable building materials.
- Engage trained manpower.
There are a few additional factors that should be considered during construction of the various rooms of the house:
- The entrance is the place to entertain visitors and should be constructed in a visually appealing manner.
- For security reasons, the entrance must be constructed in such a way that it provides adequate protection to the house.
- The entrance also needs to protect the house against inhospitable weather such as harsh sunlight and excessive rains.
- Living room
The living room should be located near to the entrance.
The living room should preferably face the lawn, wherever possible.
Tall windows can add a lot of visual appeal to the living room
- The kitchen must have adequate ventilation and natural sunlight.
- It should be adjoining the dining room.
- The working platform must be adequately wide and free from obstructions.
- The design should provide adequate space for appliances such as cooking range, dishwasher, chimney etc.
- The bedroom should be located away from the entrance and living room to ensure privacy.
- The bedroom should be connected with a balcony and attached bathroom, wherever possible.
- Provide adequate storage facilities in the form of almirahs and cabinets.
- The bathroom must have adequate ventilation and natural lighting.
- The bath fittings and sanitary fittings must be of a high quality to withstand regular and prolonged use.
- The bathroom floor should be 5 cm lower than the other flooring of the house.
Home and Office Painting Ideas
Just as an outfit can enhance or mar the image of a person, the quality and visual appeal of painting can do the same for your home interiors. Additionally, the cost of painting being so high, it is all the more important to take wise and efficient decisions with regard to painting. JK Lakshmi Cement has compiled a few tips to help you make the best out of your investment on painting.
Preparing for the job.
- Ensure that the plaster on the walls is fully dried before the commencement of the paint job.
- In case, there is any seepage on the walls, ensure that the fault is fully rectified.
- Remove electric plates and cover all sockets & switches with tape.
- Cover the floor with plastic sheeting to avoid paint spilling on the floor.
- Ensure to use only high-quality POP material to provide a better base for paint colours.
Choosing the right paint.
- For most paint jobs, water-based paints are a good choice as they dry faster.
- Flat finishes are ideal in hiding minor imperfections on the wall surfaces, but they don't have a shine.
- Velvet finishes are ideal to enhance the visual appeal of your home interiors and are easy to clean.
- Glossy and semi-glossy finishes are also good options as they have a durable finish and can easily withstand scrubbing.
- Satin paints are excellent to give a warm and inviting look to your rooms.
This may be the toughest choice as regards painting is concerned. While choosing colours, it may be helpful to consult an interior designer, as the choice of paint colour would set the theme for the complete interiors. You would have to choose the colours of the upholstery and furniture accordingly.
For ceilings, it is best to go in for light and sober shades as they give a spacious look to the rooms. In fact, white and off-white are ideal shades for ceilings. In case of wall colours, choice should be made on the basis of age-group and personality of the inhabitants. For example, light pink can be a great shade for a young girl's room. In case of boys, you can be more experimental. All shades have specific effects on the moods of a person:
- Blue and off-white are soothing shades.
- Shades of red can be stimulating for the mind.
- Orange is excellent for kitchen and dining room as it stimulates the appetite.
- Using purple is a great way of creating a royal ambience.
Estimating the paint quantity.
You can use our paint calculator to estimate the quality of paint required for a particular paint job. Please note that this would give the quantity required for one coat. The number of coats would be dependent upon various factors and you would require professional advice for the same.